Tuesday, September 1, 2009

This time of the years has me thing about building up my food storage for the winter. I'm usually like the ant working on it all year round. But there is something about knowing that winter is a lot closer than it was just a few months ago. It is in this time I get the grasshopper quilts, did I do enough, did I forget something, have I not used something that should have been used so it won't go bad.


I just purchase a book Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel. I have always wish for three things in our military moving life. 1.) A root cellar ( this bring memories of fresh veggie during long cold winters) 2.) A big walk in food pantry. ( I even had one once in an old house that we lived in off base. It was the first time I didn't want to move onto base.) 3.) a greenhouse. ( this brings memories of England with old stone or brick houses and garden greenhouse next to the houses. So I just had to purchase this book. A root cellar that you could do your-self (even in your basement ) and the does and don't of how to store. Buy it, you'll love it!
My next great idea is to have rolls and rolls of filled canning jars and a full pantry of the foods that my family loves and will eat. I think that is where a lot of people go wrong. They think that they have to have tons and tons of wheat and grains. But they don't really think of what their family will eat. Don't get me wrong I do store wheat and grains, but I also store tuna and chocolate, I wouldn't even try to tell you how many jars of peanut butter that I have stored or used over these many years. My granddaughter Miss Ginny could eat and live on peanut butter alone. I think that best food storage is the one that has the most variety that you can handle.

I wonder how I can talk my DH into digging a root cellar in my basement. Well I guess I will have to start cooking all his favorites and soften him up. hehehe I'll let you know how it goes.

So until we meet again ~~~smiles~~

No comments: