Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Times We Live In


I find that we all from time to time feel that we are not living in the right time or century. I have always found the Victorian times to be the most interesting to me. The way of life during these times were so vast. England ruled most of the world or so it seemed. The clothing was beautiful and the middle class was coming in to its own. A person with out a name or title could build an empire with just good old hard work. I'm drawn to this period both by the clothing and the life style of the avg. Victorian lady. How she went about her day, how she decorated her home, and how she interacted with other people. A very good friend of mine would always say that we were the ladies of the 1990's and that we didn't need man to help us with our work or hold the door open for us. I would laugh and say I much more prefer the 1890's. So come on guys hold the door, stand up when a lady enters the room, and I will give you my pretties smile and a big Thank You. For me good manners should never go out of style. So until me meet again ~~smiles~~

1 comment:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and an even bigger thank you to you and your family for your military service (I firmly believe the spouse of a member serves every bit as much as the member!).

I probably have more "radical" ideas about the relationship between men and women than some people do. I refuse to believe that the husband is meant to be the "head" of the household. I believe that a marriage is a partnership, an EQUAL partnership. However, that doesn't mean I think I can do everything as well as a man. That's just ridiculous. But then again, a man can't do a lot of things as well as a woman can. That's why we form partnerships - to balance each other's talents and shortcomings. I deplore the type of sexism that says a man is the "final authority" in a relationship or that a woman is good for nothing but having babies and cleaning houses. Now...most people that hear my views on this subject automatically assume that I should or would shun a man holding a door for me or carrying a heavy package for me. Not true. My insistance on equality is based on intellectual strength, not physical strength. And good manners don't have a thing to do with equality. Or at least, they SHOULDN'T! (Geez...I need to write a post about this on my own blog instead of clogging up YOURS with my opinions. lol Sorry 'bout that.) Anyway, I guess my original point was...yeah, I also enjoy having a door held open for me, having heavy boxes carried for me and having my order taken and served to me first in a restaurant. Good manners DO mean something, even THESE days. (I'm so long winded I shame even myself!) :)